Sunday, October 26, 2008

Roller Hockey

Now that my ankle is more-or-less back to normal, I can start to play some sports again. And after finding some old friends from UCSD on facebook and seeing all their hockey related pics, I decided to get my ass back on the rink. I haven't really played any ice hockey since being in Ithaca (maybe once or twice) and I haven't really played roller since UCSD (yes, more than 10 years ago, ugh). I wasn't expecting too much out of my legs when I went to play pickup hockey at thesportsarena (www.thesportsarena.net) and it was a good thing I wasn't. Any skills I had still existed in my mind (enhanced a little with age), but just didn't seem to translate into reality. Stopping was a big problem - well, there was the boards that solved that problem.

I also saw that they play "dek" hockey there - that is the east coast term for floor hockey, I suppose. They even have a team named Cobras (http://www.thesportsarena.net/dek-c.php), but they are clearly not a part of the Cobra empire. Now I am looking for a team, either roller, dek or ice. For now, I will just go to roller hockey pickup on Friday nights.

No comments: